ready-made tool for generate WMDR XML

ready-made tool for generate WMDR XML

by George Grapes -
Number of replies: 5

Is there a ready-made tool for converting text files to WMDR XML files?

What is the concept? Does each country develop for itself?

In reply to George Grapes

Re: ready-made tool for generate WMDR XML

by Timo Proescholdt -

Dear Emery,

there are some experimental tools available from WMO for this purpose.

I suggest you can watch the webinar on this topic. In the same space, you may also find the tutorial videos on the API, as well as the other webinars on the API interesting.
You can also have a look at the oscar client.
Finally, you may be interested in next Monday's webinar on the OSCAR web client, which will show how to populate OSCAR using a Spreadsheet.

I know that Tom Kralidis from Environment Canada has also a package that supports generating WIGOS metadata.

All these tools can help creating XML, but need some customization to adjust to your local data holdings. If you can share some more details about your situation and organization we may be able to provide further help.

with kind regards,

Timo

In reply to Timo Proescholdt

by George Grapes -
Dear Timo!

Thank you for your answer. I listened the webinar about the Oscar web web-client tool,
and I have some questions and remarks.

I tested the Create new station function. The altitude error was that:
You cannot enter only an integer in this field.
I think it would be important to give the height to a tenth.

I tested the change identifier of an existing station function. I loaded
0-348-1-13711 test station and I want to change WIGOS ID to 0-348-1-13712.
The first error was that the WIGOS ID 2 sholud not be empty, so I fill it,
but the I got error: Invalid XML. The log file is:
2021-02-23T06:56:28.599Z ERROR : ROW NUMBER - 1 : 10da29c0-71a3-462a-b1b0-201dca489932 :
{"data":{"message":"error: station 0-348-1-13712 does not exist '0-348-1-13712 not
contained in OSCAR or cannot be downloaded'","status":400},"message":"Ok","response_time":
"02-23-2021 06:56:22","status":"Success","status_code":200}

When will the operational Oscar be available with this tool?

Another issue: we would also appreciate it if restriction on unique identification
of the station name is resolved. There are Hungarian station names that are the
same as some foreign stations, and we don't want to rename our stations.

I am still studying the additional possibilities you mentioned.

Regards: Emery Grapes (HMS)

by Timo Proescholdt -
Dear George,

the reason why schedules for the station 0-348-1-13711 cannot be loaded is that it has a variable and deployment, but no data generation. The tool has some limitations as regards such stations for the moment.
Could you tell me if there are other such stations? Did you create/edit the station or has it been like it is since the beginning?

We can develop a solution for this, but it may take some time, so I think we will launch the tool with this shortcoming. I improved the error message for such stations so that it is more clear what the problem is.

with kind regards,
Timo
In reply to Timo Proescholdt

by George Grapes -
Thank you for your effort, but I must mention that I do not yet know whether we will be able to use this tool. We do not yet have a plan for how we will regularly update Hungarian metadata in Oscar.

Regardless, I’ll be happy to help with your testing, maybe it will still be useful for us.

I started trying out the Hungarian stations and it seems that none of them can be loaded. There are some that have been loaded by WMO and some that have already been modified by someone. There are also new ones we created this year.
I didn’t go through all the stations, but I couldn’t really load any of them.

Here are some examples:
AGARD 0-20000-0-12846 ORIGINAL WMO
BAJA 0-20000-0-12960 ORIGINAL WMO
BEKESCSABA 0-20000-0-12992 UPDATED HMS
BUDAPEST/FERIHEGY INTL 0-20000-0-12839 ORIGINAL WMO
DEBRECEN repülőtér 0-20000-0-12882 UPDATED HMS
Bogyoszló 0-348-1-24120 NEW
Homokszentgyörgy 0-348-1-28700 NEW

by Tom Kralidis -
Thanks Timo, yes, see this post for what we use here in Canada.  As always, contributions and collaboration to further improve the tools are welcome and valued.

Cheers

..Tom