Participant Perspectives on Programme Highlights - Please comment.

Participant Perspectives on Programme Highlights - Please comment.

by Kevin O'LOUGHLIN -
Number of replies: 4

Dear RA II and RA V Participants.

Now that you are hopefully safely back home and have caught up on some work back log, this is to ask for your help in capturing correctly some of the main benefits you gained from the programme. You have already made some verbal comments in Singapore on this, but it would help me in preparing some summary report for WMO if you could simply list your top three benefits (or learnings) that came from the material covered in the programme, and add a one sentence comment for each on how you think this might help you in your work.   

It might have been something specific from one of the sessions or the whole session. To jog your memory and save you checking back to the programme, I have listed the programme topics below.

I know you are all busy, but I would be grateful if you could take 10 minutes or so to just put down the main benefits in a few dot points plus one sentence with each to say how it will help you. Of course if you want to add more that three that is welcome. Do this short list should also help refresh your thinking about your work on the team projects.

It was a great pleasure to meet you all and work with you all. I hope that from the programme and the connections you made there, you are all feeling better equipped and supported for the leadership and management challenges you face at home.

Best regards

Kevin 

(Kevin O'Loughlin)

List of sessions

• Leadership
  • WMO Resources and support (Strategic plan, Compendium, Role of Pr’s, Role and Operation of NMHS, etc)
  • Strategic Planning
  • Managing Complexity
  • Performance Management
  • Effective Communication
  • Negotiation Strategies
  • Public Financial Management 
  • Case Study: Climate Change Adaptation

In reply to Kevin O'LOUGHLIN

Re: Participant Perspectives on Programme Highlights - Please comment.

by Ali Sahib Ali Al-Behadili -

I would like to thank you for your interest, and I am pleased to clarify that the lectures and topics were fruitful and close to reality and included valuable and useful treatments, and we will work according to what we have seen from the successful experiences to overcome some of the obstacles that face us at work and look forward to meeting you in the coming times

Engineer Ali Sahib Ali Al - Bahadli
                                                 Director General of Iraqi Meteorology
                                                         Regulation and seismology
                                            Permanent Representative of Iraq with WMO

In reply to Ali Sahib Ali Al-Behadili

by Ali Sahib Ali Al-Behadili -

I would like to thank you for your interest, and I am pleased to clarify that the lectures and topics were fruitful and close to reality and included valuable and useful treatments, and we will work according to what we have seen from the successful experiences to overcome some of the obstacles that face us at work and look forward to meeting you in the coming times

Engineer Ali Sahib Ali Al - Bahadli
                                                 Director General of Iraqi Meteorology
                                                         Regulation and seismology
                                            Permanent Representative of Iraq with WMO

In reply to Kevin O'LOUGHLIN

by Masanori Obayashi -

Kevin,

Here is my short summary.

Best regards,

Masanori Obayashi, (JMA)

-         Leadership Challenges in a VUCA world

No straightforward answer is given, but keywords that we need to keep in mind include communication, adaptiveness, information management, foresight and risk taking.

-         Effective Communication

The reality of how people make decisions made me realize that technically correct information does not always provoke proper reactions.

-          Negotiation strategies and techniques

Not the apparent “strength”, but Empathy and BATNA will help you gain a strong position in negotiation.

-         Other findings

Prof. Merry emphasized the important points in speaking: Clear wording, Watch audience, Body language, Tone of voice. I was impressed that all the lecturers kept these technical points, let alone their eagerness to convey their intellect and experiences.

In reply to Masanori Obayashi

by Kevin O'LOUGHLIN -

Dear Masori, 

Many thanks for your response and best wishes with your work.

Best regards

Kevin