Course Forum

Final assignment: A GIS based distributed hydrological forecast system

Final assignment: A GIS based distributed hydrological forecast system

by Aizhong Hou -
Number of replies: 1

The currently used hydrological forecast system in China is mainly focused on flood and the flood forecasting frameworks are typically based on point discharge measurements and predictions at discrete locations, hence they can’t provide spatio-temporal information of hydrological elements, such as evapotranspiration, soil moisture, ground water table, and flood inundation extents over large scales and at high spatial resolution. The use of distributed hydrological model has recently appeared to be the most suitable option to bridge this gap. I want to develop a modularized framework in the new established hydrological forecast system, and the hydrological processes are conceptually divided into five simulation modules, which are runoff generation, runoff concentration, flow routing, reservoir regulation and inundation, respectively. The input forcing data and the output results are all gridded and standardized. An open source GIS platform is employed to process the massive geomorphological data, soil data, Land Use and Land Cover data, etc.

In reply to Aizhong Hou

Re: Final assignment: A GIS based distributed hydrological forecast system

by Matt Kelsch -

Dear Aizhong Hou-

I look forward to seeing your report on the distributed hydrological forecast system based on GIS.  You provided some good details about what will be in your paper and I am sure I will learn more when I read the report. Representing reservoir operations in a forecast system is especially challenging and I wish you success with that effort.

Matt Kelsch