Forum for University Collaborations

Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Andrew Charlton-Perez -
Number of replies: 35

Jeff and I had an interesting discussion at breakfast and wondered if there was any interest in a short discussion amongst anyone representing a University during the special interest group discussion time tomorrow (if this doesn't conflict with other plans).

From the University of Reading side, we are really interested in developing our offer of courses so that it fits with both national met services and allows for greater movement of students between different courses. 

If anyone else is interested in this and would like to get together tomorrow do let me know.

Andrew

In reply to Andrew Charlton-Perez

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by David Babb -

Count me in,,,

David Babb -- Penn State

In reply to David Babb

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Kathy-Ann Caesar -

Good day All 

I will like to join as well. I have a 900 am class but should be here by 11:00 am

Regards

Kathy-Ann Caesar

In reply to Andrew Charlton-Perez

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Sergiy STEPANENKO -

Thanks, I plan to take part in this discussion

In reply to Sergiy STEPANENKO

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Winifred JORDAAN -

Dear all

 

I will join in the discussions as well.

 

Greetings

Winifred


In reply to Winifred JORDAAN

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Moira Doyle -

Great idea, I am very willing to meet with you all

Moira

In reply to Moira Doyle

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Andrew Charlton-Perez -

Dear All

Lets meet in Room 1 now.

I'm keeping a record of the meeting on this google form:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1orvdVoCr_R5OK9N5hFZcWuHGIBNcPmSJMJqiNUtBYjY/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to edit and use


Andrew

In reply to Andrew Charlton-Perez

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Enric Aguillar -

Dear Andrew and all,

I am sorry I didn't make it last week to the interest group on Universities, as I was at that same moment locked up with Patrick and Jeff preparing the summary report for Theme III. 

But across SYMET, I could talk with several persons, representing universities, some of them linked to RTCs, and showing an interest in developing univeristy level studies in the field of Climate Services, hopefully framed to the competencies approved by EC-68. 

I envision a multilateral cooperation in this field, with resources that could be shared in the future in Global Campus and have a multiplicative effect on the number of people taking benefit of them, either following a formal program or by means of creating a MOOC or by just using them in training  with a badges system attached. As you see, many concepts that came out across SYMET. 

I got in touch with my administration here at URV to explore options to obtain funding for networking and development. They mentioned a couple instruments that could be useful, although this would need further exploration. Perhaps those interested in this, could create a discussion group to further explore options for networking, cooperation, etc

With best regards,

-Enric 


In reply to Enric Aguillar

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Andrew Charlton-Perez -


Hi Enric

Thanks for getting back to us, I think the University of Reading would be very interested in further discussion with you on this topic.

Thanks again for you and the other organisers for what was a really enjoyable meeting for me (and apologies I had to leave early)

All the best

Andrew

In reply to Enric Aguillar

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Moira Doyle -
Hi Enric and everybody

I think its a great idea to create a collaborative network among Universities, Argentina is willing to collaborate and be part of this proyect. Through our University there are some mechanisms we can also explore

Moira
In reply to Moira Doyle

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Patrick Parrish -

Hi Everyone, 

This discussion is very exciting to see. If you want us to set up a separate forum just for this discussion with opt-in enrolment, let me know. Eventually, you might want to even try a different platform for even richer interaction. 

One thing I hope you will discuss is the potential to collaborate on pieces of the BIP-M curicculum for blended-delivery. Andrew was part of an Erasmus+ proposal on this topic, and if you recall David Babb's poster, he is proposing a Distributed Learning Network to do this. His poster is available on the Moodle site in the Poster Session section. I suspect you already spoke about this in your meeting, but I just wanted to encourage it. Eduard Podaiskii of RSHU in St. Petersburg are eager to develop a white paper on micro-credentials for competency development, and now with David's input, BIP-M curricula. 

Cheers, 

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Parrish

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Kathy-Ann Caesar -

Hello Everyone

I trust all have returned safely.

I truly want to endorse further and continue this discussion. 

I was busy at the time of the discussion but I am of the view there will be a growing interested in a blended approach to the BIP-M and that the RTC and Universities can work towards this.  I am thankful for the paper and poster presentations.

Kathy-Ann

In reply to Patrick Parrish

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Enric Aguillar -

Hi Patrick,

and greetings to all,

thanks for this. I think that a separate forum with opt-in possibilities would be a great place to discuss and explore possibilities. If it is not asking too much, I think those interested would appreciate if you could create it.

Thanks!


-Enric

In reply to Patrick Parrish

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by David Babb -
Greetings Colleagues, 

 I have been mulling over the many excellent conversations that I had with all of you during SYMET. It seems to me that the need for an online, multilingual BIP-M curriculum is desperately needed. However, the hurdles to achieving this goal (particularly by any one single institution) are significant. Even so, after SYMET I am even more convinced that a “crowd-sourced” approach is the best way to make progress. Therefore, let me propose the following project…

1) This project would demonstrate how a distributed learning network could produce and manage a set of educational objects and learning pathways. It would serve as proof-of-concept for a larger network that would encompass the entire BIP-M curriculum.

2) This project would be open to all participants who wish to contribute. Participants could be from RTC’s, Universities, or Met Services (basically anyone who currently participates in education and training, and has content to contribute).

3) Modules would be created by group members that align with one of the subtopics listed in the current 1083/BIP-M curricular guide. I suggest that we focus on a single subtopic (for example, 3.1.1 Atmospheric composition, radiation and optical phenomena or 3.1.2 Thermodynamics and cloud physics) and try to “fill the space” with our modules (that is, address every requirement within that subtopic). Questions: How might we group topics? Each of the learning objectives under a subtopic are of varying complexity. Could some be combined while others stand alone? Should we aim to have each module cover approximately the same learning time? 10 hours? 20 hours?

4) In order to maintain consistency, we would need to develop modules based on a standard template. For example, each module would need to:

a) specify which BIP-M Learning Outcome it is satisfying,
b) specify any prerequisite knowledge/skills,
c) have a set of performance objectives and criteria that represents mastery of the material,
d) have content along with formative assessment checks,
e) present the student with in-depth “laboratory” exercises on which to practice their skills,
f) provide opportunities for peer and instructor feedback, and
g) culminate with a final mastery assessment. Content developers would need to agree upon and adhere to the template.

Questions: Would there be a need for a review process as new modules are added or translated? Are there other additions to the template that I missed?

5) In terms of languages, I would love to see if we could present material in many different languages while providing the same educational experience. I would welcome anyone who wanted to simply translate modules (rather than developing them from scratch). The key here is that come together and use each other’s skills for the common purpose.


6) I realize that none of us has any funding to work on this project and therefore it would need to be a low priority. However, I suspect that many of us have material already developed for other purposes and we can simply repackage what we have. I don’t want anyone to go to a great deal of work for this prototype experiment. My hope is that if we can demonstrate an effective approach and solve some of the initial problems, momentum (and funding from somewhere) will follow.

7) Finally, we need test student and test instructors. I would envision that RTCs or Met Services could manage student participation in the modules, with potential instructors distributed all over the world. There are many issues to work out here, but if we start small, I believe that we can solve problems efficiently as they arise. So, there you have it. Anyone want to discuss? I’m happy to be the point of contact and lead the effort. Anyone interested in thinking about this with me? David

(Edited by Patrick Parrish - original submission Thursday, 16 November 2017, 12:58 PM)

In reply to David Babb

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by David Babb -
Sorry for the formatting mess above... For some reason the post removes all of my line breaks :-( David
In reply to David Babb

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Patrick Parrish -

Hi everyone, 

I just reformatted David's post online so it is easier to read on the Moodle site. I think it is really worth reading. 

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Parrish

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Kathy-Ann Caesar -

Hello David

Admittedly I have to re-read you post and fully digest it but I believe this is the right idea.  Global Campus is a big undertaking and I endorse your idea of a project.  I would suggest that the RTC rather than the Met Services be responsible for the modules and also the the RTC agree to conduct the practical portions of the training.  These are pretty much standard and transferable. 

But again running a BIP-M training project with a set of volunteers will be the way to go.

Also please lets include at least one or two other languages other than English since this is part of the Global aspect that can not be ignored,

Great forum 

In reply to David Babb

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Alfred Opere -

Yes, it would be a fantastic idea to be involved in RTC discussions involving Universities. Many times they have unique challenges

In reply to David Babb

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Moira Doyle -

Hi everybody

David, this is a really interesting project. And something we can add is to have examples from both hemispheres which will enrich the project and the students

Moira

In reply to Moira Doyle

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by David Babb -
Great suggestions, Moira and Kathy-Ann. We definitely want multiple languages to be represented as well as examples from many locations above and below the equator. David
In reply to David Babb

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Andrew Charlton-Perez -

Thanks David for this really comprehensive and interesting suggestion and sorry not to have replied until now.

I think at Reading we would also be interested in participating in such an initiative and could contribute in a number of areas. One important thing would be to do this under an understanding (backed by licensing) that we could re-use the content in other areas as we develop MOOCs which would serve different audiences (which links with your point 6).

In terms of next steps would it be good to try to arrange a telecon of interested parties to sketch out some indicative timelines?

In reply to Andrew Charlton-Perez

community collaboration to create elements of a BIP-M online course

by Jeff Wilson -

Dear all,


I have changed the title of the discussion thread to better reflect the direction it is now taking.


It is fascinating and very pleasing to see the evolving discussion regarding the interest in collaborating to create an online BIP-M course over a period of time.


 I will not bore you with the background and previous discussion on this topic but just let you know that there is one and it will pay to look at this for lessons learnt and other potential partners.


 I would also encourage you to recall that the RTC Directors in 2014 agreed to work on three demonstration projects to demonstrate the potential benefits and explore issues related to how the WMO Global Campus could work. The demonstration projects were based around providing aviation training in multiple languages and working with Enric's Expert Team on Education Training in the Commission for Climatology on training related to climate services. I think the third one was related to the BIP-M but would need to check the 2015 Worl Meteorological Congress paper on this.


I would also encourage you to look at the principles David Farrell originally proposed to recognize and encourage contributions and engagement in projects such as the one you are proposing. I think these will help you consider how to recognize contributions prior to addressing copyright etc etc. Pat should be able to share the latest versions being discussed by the ETR Panel WG on the WMO Global Campus.


Regarding your proposal to work on elements of the BIP-M which I really like, you may wish to consider something along the following lines. During SYMET Marines and others touched upon a recent project known as CM4SH (Conceptual Models for Southern Hemisphere). This provides a really nice model of a successful and ongoing collaborative project across a range of institutions. Vesa Nietsovara from EUMETSAT was a key person but Mark Higgins will be able to provide the overview if required. Essentially WMO provided some funding (around 20K euro) to EUMETSAT who matched this through in kind contributions (Vesa's time and funds to pay a project manager with content expertise in the area). Vesa and Veronika were then able to use this small amount of funding to support a number of training institutions in the Southern Hemisphere to develop and describe conceptual models of weather systems within a framework of the European SatMenu module. 


So to enable you to make progress on your project (i.e. Lift it from low priority) it may be worthwhile identifying possible grant or project funds that would enable you to have some funding support which helps everyone. Enric and Eduard from St Petersburg have a good ear for European funding sources, Andrew may be aware of UK or other options and David Babbs / Liz Page may have some insight into US. Do not forget David Farrell who has built CIMH up using these sorts of opportunities. I am happy to help out with drafting or review any proposals if you think I can assist.


Whilst I am definitely enjoying my retirement and glad it is now Yinka that has to deal with all of the paperwork, I am really pleased to see the discussion and hope to see it continue and grow.

Jeff Wilson



In reply to Jeff Wilson

Re: community collaboration to create elements of a BIP-M online course

by Marina BALDI -

Dear all

I’m sorry I was not able to follow all the discussion during the past days, but we have a challenging course running from Monday and I’m really overloaded with that.

Btw, due to our specific national situation (Patrick and Jeff know part of it), we started, not too long ago, to discuss if and how to develop if not a full BIP-M course, but at list some parts of it which are now not covered by our RTC and Universities either in Italian and/or English, and I must confess I’m very pleased to see all this discussion going on.

As I presented at Symet we started with developing some distance learning modules on climate services, but that's another story (which we are pleased to share), and we gained some experience in the methodology.

For us now it is absolutely necessary to meet the need of BIP-M elements, and I really like David’s proposal so, please, count on our RTC. We will be very glad to contribute!

Of course this is not high priority project, but piece by piece, and with some funds (hopefully), it can be achieved.

Marina  


In reply to Marina BALDI

Re: community collaboration to create elements of a BIP-M online course

by Sally WOLKOWSKI -

We're happy to be involved too. We might be able to use some of the work done through the WISER project with IMTR.

In reply to Andrew Charlton-Perez

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Andrew Charlton-Perez -

One thing I would also like to capture and add to this forum is about the discussion we had around developing greater collaboration between different universities. I think David Babb's initiative below is a great way to get started on this and gives us a practical opportunity to work together. 

I'd also, though, like to highlight a couple of other ideas we had in Barbados. One was on developing some lists of courses which offer meteorology at BSc level around the world along with some contact details and basic information about student numbers, topics covered etc. Is everyone in agreement that a resource of this kind would be helpful? If so it might be something Reading could offer to take forward in the next few months.

Similarly, we discussed the idea of peer feedback through external examiner roles and trainer exchanges. I think there was also some interest in this. Would a related list of colleagues willing to offer reciprocal arrangements for trainer exchange or to serve as external examiners (along with their expertise) also be useful?

In reply to Andrew Charlton-Perez

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Patrick Parrish -

Dear All, 

I have now set this off in a separate SYMET forum called, "Forum for University Collaborations." I have not removed anyone yet, but I will slowly edit the participants as it becomes clear who wants to contribute. Remember, you do not HAVE to be a university faculty member if your institution interacts with universities and has a stake in the efforts that might result from this discussion. 

We could establish another collaboration mechanism with more capabilities if you wish. It will just take some research for the right tools. 

Andrew's post above and David's suggestion for an open-source BIP-M project are two exciting things that might result. Both of these would benefit Members greatly. I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked for a list of BSc level courses around the world and also for online options for BIP-M achievement. And peer review and external exchanges are also at the top of everyone's lists. 

I will do my best to contribute to moving this forward more in 2018 if we have the critical mass to do it. Even a few people can make it happen if there is enough substance to get it started. 

Cheers, 

Patrick



In reply to Patrick Parrish

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Andrew Charlton-Perez -


Hi Patrick and hi everyone,

Happy New Year to all and thanks for moving this along. The University of Reading would really like to contribute to these activities and is certainly keen to work on the BSc level course list (with anyone else who would like to). A useful outgrowth of this could be the peer review and exchange list. 

We have been discussing putting in place someone to do this at Reading. Is there anyone else on the list who wants to work with us on this?

Cheers

Andrew

In reply to Patrick Parrish

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Moira Doyle -

Hi everybody, happy new year to you all!

Thanks Pat for this new Forum. I agree with you that these two points are very interesting and will be of great help to the community. Please count us in. At the moment we are on our summer holidays here in Argentina, I will be to contact people here in March

Moira


In reply to Andrew Charlton-Perez

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Moira Doyle -

Hi everybody

Its been some time since our last contact. I hope everyones fine and we can continue developing our ideas on BIPM and using Global Campus. Any new ideas?

However, today I have another question for you? At the University of Buenos Aires we are interested in developing a course on Marine Meteorology as part of BIP-M. Does any of your universities have this course and could you share your syllabus with us? We dont have any experience in this area

Thanks

Moira

In reply to Moira Doyle

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Eduard Podgaiskii -

Dear Moira & all,

RSHU which is WMO RTC in Russia has applied for EU funding this spring to develop parts of BIP-M online in various UN languages. Other partners involve AEMET (Spain), Ibimet (Italy), NUIST, CMATC (China). Coordination is with the University of Helsinki, Finland. We will learn if the bid is successful sometime in August. 

As regards Marine Meteorology, I suggest to check first with the list of competencies developed by TT-MCR, and WMO publication 558. In the meantime, I've sent a query to Marine Academy in St Petersburg, as I think they have relevant course. I will let you know if they will be willing to share.

We maybe willing to develop our own Marine Meteorology course to support navigation in the Arctic, so please keep us informed. It could be the core of future bid to EU, for which Argentina is also eligible.

Best regards,

Eduard

In reply to Eduard Podgaiskii

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Patrick Parrish -

Hi all, 

Great to see this use of the Forum. I am sharing the link to the Marine Met competency framework, the detailed version, on the JCOMM website: https://www.jcomm.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=307&Itemid=100038

I will be adding Sarah Grimes to this conversation tomorrow. She is the Chief of the Marine Met and Oceanography Office as WMO. She may have some answers but also the same questions. Hopefully together we can create a catalog of Marine courses and host this somewhere via WMOLearn, in the Global Campus environment. I suspect Sarah would love to see this and that it would help many of you. 

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Parrish

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Moira Doyle -

Hi Eduord and Patrick

Thanks for your answers and sharing the marine competencies

I hope the on line BIPM project gets funding, its wonderful it shall be available in the different languages and it will be a huge experience for all of you. If you go for the marine course please count us in, and if we make any progress I will let you know.

Moira


In reply to Andrew Charlton-Perez

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Eduard Podgaiskii -

Hello all,

we just re-wrote the last year application for BIP-M MOOC-type online course in Russian and Chinese, as the last year application was not successul, so we keep on trying to get some funding for this.

In the meantime, I keep thinking about collaborative curriculum development (and collaborative curriculum offer), as this is what we propose in the project, without having any ready solution in mind. How can we credit external MOOCs as part of our curriculum without increasing the cost of the program? How to make these learning bits and pieces interchangeable and complementary? As organizations, shall we consider MOOCs as outsourced teaching? Then we could probably evaluate the costs to hire a professor vs the costs we pay to a MOOC platform for having the module in our curriculum at accepted quality?

I'd like to continue the discussion you guys started at last SYMET - what I really would like to know is how universities use MOOCs in their curricula, and how they contribute to MOOCs. And is there a way forward to a collaborative curriculum at all? Shall we eventually code-share, like airline alliances do?
Looking forward to read your views on Common Certification Approaches...
Best regards,

Eduard Podgaiskii,

RTC Russia

In reply to Eduard Podgaiskii

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Jeff Wilson -

Eduard,


Perhaps the MOOC is the central delivery and assessment is done locally. This way institutions could choose whether the MOOC is all that is assessed or the MOOC is part of a larger delivery. You could certainly offer some example assessment tools / questions / assignments / extension questions for local use. It would probably require you to provide a contextual description to go with the MOC so people are clear what BIP-M or competency knowledge requirements it is addressing. 


For some groups you could offer central assessment (at a cost) but it will then come with an RSHU endorsement  


I hope this makes some sense

Jeff Wilson

In reply to Jeff Wilson

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Mark Higgins -

I think this an interesting way forward. 

Some thoughts ... 

A mooc (massive open online course can mean a number of things. 

I think here it looks like  a delivery mechanism for material, and opportunity for students to interact with each other and and opportunity for students to interact with teachers. 

An open platform (such as say an open edX platform) would allow those of us who produce material to submit (effectively crowd source) our resources, the BIP-M provides a structure - what materials should be there and how does it all fit together.  (this may also facilitate translation). Some people may be able to provide resources by syndicating them from thier current platform (via x api or similar) 

It might be good to start with a single part of the BIP-M rather than the whole thing - I thinks David's post above is useful here.  

An open platform could allow students to interact with each other though discussion forums. 

And could allow for cohorts of students to travel through the course at similar times - opening up peer assessment.  

The open platform also allows for interaction with teachers. Some of us may contribute as it is in our interest to support people using our tools / data / ... others may contribute within some form of cost recovery basis. 

Part of the interaction with teachers could be assignment submission, grading and then certification - this may come as a direct cost to the student on a per assignment / module basis, as part of a course that the institution is facilitating and using the platform to progress through the course - where the student or other body pays a fee, or some other approach. The student then gets the badge / certificate or that teaching institution.  

Mark 







In reply to Mark Higgins

Re: Interest in a discussion amongst Universities?

by Moira Doyle -

Hi everybody, great to hear from you and your interesting propositions.

I havent participated in preparing MOOC or as a teacher, our students in Meteorology at the university have no experience in these kind of activities either. But I think the proposal of addressing some topics in MOOC format as  part of a course of a course would provide students with great opportunities of interacting with other students and teachers and creating a broader learning experience.

I think David's idea of starting with something small focusing on some particular topic will help us getting on the move with this fantastic idea

Moira