Who I am - Jorge Vazquez

Who I am - Jorge Vazquez

by Jorge Luis Vazquez Aguirre -
Number of replies: 0

Hello!

My name is Jorge Luis Vazquez-Aguirre (middle name is Luis, and surname is the long Vazquez-Aguirre  part). I am a Mexican national. I have been fortune enough to be Director of Climatology at Mexico's NMS from 2012 to 2016. Nowadays I am a lecturer-researcher in atmospheric science at the University.

Since 2014 I have been a member of the WMO Technical Commissions Expert Teams. Within the Commission for Climatology, I have been appointed member of the Expert Team on Climate Change Detection and Indices (ETCCDI), then as a member of the Expert Team on Sector-specific Climate Indices (ET-SCI) and after WMO Reform, I have had the privilege to remain as a member of the Expert Team on Climate Information for Decision Making (ET-CID).

Apart from devoting much of my time working on the calculation and use of climate indices globally, I am interested in all aspects of climate variability and change, but mainly in its applications and actual value for societal and economic sectors, and for society in general.

My background is in atmospheric sciences, but my life experience has taken me around the world and I consider myself a rare creature that holds a mix of physical and social sciences looking for contributing to enhance climate services.

I happened to be involved in this workshop because of my long-term involvement with WMO. I really look forward to interacting with you all, tell you about my experiences, but mainly learn from you, from your local knowledge and expertise. I am eager to hear how enthusiastic you are about using and producing climate information in your country/region to inform decisions and shape the present/near future, specially now that adaptation to climate change and variability has become and imperative for all of us.