Multiple WSIs

Multiple WSIs

by Piero SERRA -
Number of replies: 4

we know that is possible to have several WSIs for the same station, but you have to highlight the "Primary" one.

What does ecxatly "Primary" mean? How is the correct use of it?

In reply to Piero SERRA

Re: Multiple WSIs

by Luis Filipe NUNES -

Dear Piero Serra,

The primary WSI is mainly used by OSCAR/Surface internally, for example to  create the station’s default URL. It has no particular meaning and it can be changed by anybody with the rights to edit a station.

Personally, I'd like to see the primary WSI as the one that is used for data exchange, e.g. in BUFR through the GTS/WIS, however, guidance for that would have to be developed and approved, which is not the case currently.

So, for the time being there is total flexibility for managing the primary WSIs in OSCAR/Surface.

Finally, I'd like to recall that all registered users of this portal are welcome to make comments and to provide their views on any of the topics raised in the forum.

Thank you, kind regards,

Luis

In reply to Luis Filipe NUNES

by George Grapes -
Dear Luis!

I have a few questions on this subject.
We are working to give each of our stations their own national WSI in addition to the WMO WSI, and we set the national WSI to primary.
For example, Budapest Pestszentlőrinc station received the primary national WSI: 0-348-1-44527, next to the WMO type: 0-20000-0-12843.

In new types of bulletins in international traffic (for example 10 minutes and hourly AWS bulletins), we will use new the primary WSI. We don't need the old one,
so could we even ask the OSCAR administrator to delete the WMO type WSI?

However for example, what about climat and synop bufrs?
These bulletins are based on specific templates, so we cannot use WSI at all.
The records in these bulletins contain a 5-digit WMO number.
Remaining with our example: 12843. If someone searches the Oscar for this, they will find the station because WMO's WSI still contains this old type of station number.
If we delete these WSI, how are the stations in the bufr synop connected to the station in OSCAR?

We wouldn’t be bothered by this, but wouldn’t it be a problem that the previous 5-digit WMO numbers don’t even appear in the OSCAR in this way?

George Grapes
HMS
In reply to George Grapes

by Luis Filipe NUNES -

Dear George,

Thank you for your message. Please see below a few comments.

It is acceptable to provide additional WSIs to stations that are already registered in OSCAR/Surface with a WSI assigned by WMO, e.g. during migration from Vol.A as those with Issuer of Identifier (2nd block) in the range 20xxx.

However, to minimize impacts for users it is advisable to avoid additional WSIs when/if possible.

On the other hand, to allow historical tracking of station records in OSCAR/Surface, WSIs shall not be deleted, only new WSIs can be added and be flagged with the primary key.

Finally, regarding your BUFR related questions, I'll consult with colleagues on the WIS (WMO Information System) branch in charge of coding and data exchange activities.

Kind regards,

Luis