Missing observation methods

Missing observation methods

by Hesam SAJDEH -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

In the observation information entry section, I could not find observation methods for some variables like sunshine duration, visibility, present and past weather. Is this a problem or I miss something?

In reply to Hesam SAJDEH

Re: Missing observation methods

by Alexander Scheid -
Dear Hesam,

I just checked the methods tree and I can see those entries. Sunshine duration should be under "Radiation" and visibility should normally appear above "Wind" in the tree. Same for present and past weather, they should appear in the tree under Atmosphere. I attached two screenshots how it looks on my side. There seems to be a difference between us. Could you please check/refresh again under the generic form in OSCAR/Surface and tell me if you can find those entries in the tree or with the search bar?

Best regards,
Alex
Attachment Capture1.PNG
Attachment Capture2.PNG
In reply to Alexander Scheid

by Hesam SAJDEH -

Dear Alex,

Thank you for your reply,

I think you have seen "add measurement program" tree. My problem is with the "methods" tree, in the deployment section. Please have a look at it and let me know what you think.

Thank you again for your help.

Attachment methods.jpg
In reply to Hesam SAJDEH

by Alexander Scheid -
Dear Hesam,

Thank you for the clarification. I checked the method tree and here is what I found. For sunshine duration there is a method which is called exactly the same. This is wrong since this is obviously no method, so there seems to be an issue here which we can address in one of the following releases. For present and past weather there are no methods to choose from at this stage. However for visibility you can select methods under visual range. If those methods there are not what you are looking for please feel free to propose new methods for visibility. I hope I could help you.

Best regards,
Alex
In reply to Alexander Scheid

by Hesam SAJDEH -
Dear Alex,

Thank you for your explanation. I think root items of the “add measurement program" tree and “methods” tree should be exactly the same. Because it is mandatory to defines the method of observation for any measurement program. My suggestion for the mentioned variables is as follows: 

- Sunshine duration
Campbell-Stokes sunshine recorder (burn method)
Pyrheliometric method
Pyranometric method
Contrast-evaluating and scanning devices

- Visibility
Human observation
Scatterometer
Transmissometer

- Present weather
Human observation
*Automated observation

- Past weather
Human observation
*Automated observation

* Recognizable phenomena should be specified

Thank you for your help.
Best regard
Hesam
In reply to Hesam SAJDEH

by Alexander Scheid -
Dear Hesam,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Will will forward your proposals to the Expert Team on Metadata for their consideration.

Best regards,
Alex