question about " program affiliation" and "Reporting interval"

question about " program affiliation" and "Reporting interval"

by Hesam SAJDEH -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

I have two questions about the OSCAR and WDQMS. My first question is why stations without any program affiliation are still tracked and show black in WDQMS? (abali (40755) for example). My next question is why there is no possibility to choose  24-hour  Reporting interval in the data generation section?  
Thank you

In reply to Hesam SAJDEH

Re: question about " program affiliation" and "Reporting interval"

by Timo Proescholdt -

Dear Hesam,

the reason it is tracked is because the station does not have a "deployment" for the parameters tracked by WDQMS. (pressure, temperature, etc.). In case there's no deployment a default schedule is assumed, which is of 3h observations, shared internationally.
In order to remove the station from WDQMS you need to add a deployment to the variables tracked by WDQMS (temperature, precipitation, wind, pressure) and set the "international exchange" flag to "false".

We will maybe make a change to the default schedule, e.g in case the station is unaffiliated not to assume an international schedule.

The schedule interface allows to input a 24-hours schedule. (e.g select 24/7 and "hourly" observations). What exactly is not working?

with kind regards,
Timo

In reply to Timo Proescholdt

by Hesam SAJDEH -

Dear Timo ,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I think 3h international exchange report should not be considered as a default schedule for stations without any program affiliation, and I'm sure if you solve this problem, a lot of black stations will be removed from the WDQMS map.

Regarding to schedule interface I meant that it is not possible to determine daily (once per 24h) interval.

Best regards,

Hesam

In reply to Hesam SAJDEH

by Alexander Scheid -
Dear Hesam,

Only the most frequent intervals have been included in the schedule interface as buttons. For all other intervals please use the "custom interval" field next to the 12 hourly field. In your case (one observation per day) this would correspond to 1440 minutes.

I hope this answers your question.

Best regards,
Alex
In reply to Alexander Scheid

by Hesam SAJDEH -
Dear Alex,

Thank you for your reply.
Since a lot of observations like evaporation, snow depth, surface temperature, state of the ground, upper air, precipitation (in rain gauge stations), etc, are done on a daily basis in many countries, I think it would be much better if 24-hour interval observations Specify separately.

Best regards,
Hesam
In reply to Hesam SAJDEH

by Alexander Scheid -
Dear Hesam,

Thank you very much for your message and the explanation. We will consider to implement this option in release 1.8 later this year.

Best regards,
Alex
In reply to Alexander Scheid

by Hesam SAJDEH -
Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your consideration.