Reopening an older (legacy) station

Reopening an older (legacy) station

by Nina Elisabeth Larsgard -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

We are currently reopening an old station. This station was closed down in 2004 and was exchanged internationally with the WMO-No 1335. It does not have an entry in OSCAR (with WSI in the 0-2000 range) since it was not active when Vol A was translated into WSIs.

The reopened station will have the same coordinates and local id (55430) as the one closed in 2004, but a new more accurate name.

My original thought was to just register this station as a new station with the WSI 0-578-0-55430, as for a new station. But since this has legacy data with WMO-No 1335 this might be the wrong approach? This could lead to double entries if someone else enters all the legacy stations with WMO-nos and WSIs in the 0-20000 range later.

What is the correct approach here?

1. ask for generation of the WSI 0-20000-0-01335

2. create 0-578-0-55430 and add the wmo no somewhere else?

In reply to Nina Elisabeth Larsgard

Re: Reopening an older (legacy) station

by Luis Filipe NUNES -

Dear Nina,

Thank you for your message.

Since the station has had a WMO ID before July 2016 and was exchanging data internationally by then, my recommendation would be to register the station within the 20000 range (your suggested approach 1.), and if that happens the Secretariat should register the station in coordination with you.

On the other hand, and since there is a new task team on WSIs under the INFCOM Standing Committee on Information Management and Technology (SC-IMT), I'll consult with them first.

Thank you for your patience, kind regards,

Luis

In reply to Luis Filipe NUNES

by Aleksandar Karanfilovski -
Hi colleagues,
I have the same problem.
Ordinary climatological station, (KAVADARCI, 0-20000-0-13599, no data exchange) closed in 1996. In 2015 near the old location (2-3 km, same city) we activated AWS which is now going into international exchange. To register this new station in OSCAR I want to use the name of the original station (normally with new coordinates and new WIGOS ID 0-807-0-KAVADARCI) but OSCAR does not allow the same name (although ID and coordinates are different). Since the data from the first / old station was not in international exchange, I have the idea to delete the closed old station from OSCAR first, and register it again in OSCAR under the new name (without changing original ID and coordinates) and take its name for the new AWS. Could this (coordinate and WIGOS ID of the old station will remain the same) cause some problem in some system???
Please for advices
In reply to Aleksandar Karanfilovski

by Luis Filipe NUNES -

Dear Aleksandar,

Apologies for the very delayed response.

Please note that there is no need to "delete" a station in OSCAR/Surface to create another one located in the same city.

Currently, OSCAR/Surface doesn't allow two stations to have the same name, but that constraint is about to be lifted in the next release (1.6.0) of OSCAR/Surface which will be available very soon.

On the other hand, a solution, that is adopted in various countries, could be to add a few letters (or a word) to the name of city to allow distinguishing several stations located in the same city, for example, Kavadarci-North, Kavadarci-South, Kavadarci-Centre, etc, or something similar, if that makes sense in your national network.

Finally, when creating a new station, the inserted coordinates should be as accurate as possible.

Thank you, best regards,

Luis

In reply to Luis Filipe NUNES

by Luis Filipe NUNES -

Dear Nina,

Apologies for the long silence, as I was waiting for feedback from the Task Team on WSIs, but that didn't happen yet.

I'll try to consult with the Expert Team on WIGOS tools, however I suggest you move on with a request to the OSCAR/Surface support, please, here: https://oscar.wmo.int/surface/#/support.

Thank you, best regards,

Luis