Official definition of WIGOS ID

Official definition of WIGOS ID

by Vesna Vidmar -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I would like to ask for your help, please - can you help us and clarify the dilemma we have about the official definition of WIGOS ID?

We have read the documentation and we still do not understand how WIGOS-ID is defined, for example:

(1)if it is equal to our AMP station number (i.e. it is tied to some geographical name) or

(2) if it is defined as our idmm AMP number (it is tied to coordinates).

Thank you for your clarification,

Regards,

Vesna

In reply to Vesna Vidmar

Re: Official definition of WIGOS ID

by Luis Filipe NUNES -

Dear Vesna,

Thank you for your message.

In order to better prepare a response, could I ask you to clarify your question, please, e.g. could you please explain what do you mean by AMP and idmm numbers.

If you could provide one, or more examples of the challenge you are facing, including which/where variables are being measured, that will help us better understand your question and to provide better guidance.

I believe this post relates to a previous one copied below:

---------------------------------------------------

Dillema about assigning WIGOS-ID (manual & automatic observations) by Vesna Vidmar - Tuesday, 10 November 2020, 6:51 AM:

In Slovenia we have several stations where manual and automatic observation is not made at the same place but the station name is the same. 

Distance between manual and automatic station is aprox. 50 m - 400 m. 

Should observer get unique WIGOS-ID or can we use same WIGOS-ID and we insert two types of measurement using different affiliate program? Is there some other way to insert different ways (manual vs. automatic) of  measurement data?

Thank you for providing us with further instructions,

Regards, Vesna

---------------------------------------------------

Thank you, best regards,

Luis

In reply to Luis Filipe NUNES

by Vesna Vidmar -
Dear Luis,

thank you for your response.

To be more concrete: we have mountain station Vogel which is manual station since 1993-01-01 and has WIGOS station identifier 0-20000-0-14006 , coordinates are 46.2635473161°N, 13.8408914626°E, 1535m .

Since the end of 2016 on the same mountain Vogel we have also automatic weather station with coordinates 46.2594405759757 | 13.8396158488742, 1515m above sea level.

This location is aproximatly 400 m from manual station. Our plan is to start sending 10 minute BUFR data via GTS. Is in this case WIGOS-ID for this station the same as for old station or we have to generate new WIGOS-ID?

Thank you very much for your explanation,

Vesna

PS: I have posted question 2, you have noticed right.
In reply to Vesna Vidmar

by Luis Filipe NUNES -

Dear Vesna,
The most important aspect to be evaluated towards a decision to use the same WSI or not, is the exposure conditions of both locations. It is the same issues as when a station is moved from its initial location, to a nearby location:
 - if the conditions (atmospheric flow, radiation, etc) of the new location are very similar to the previous one, I'd recommend keeping the previous WSI,
 - if not (in the mountains, it is likely to happen that conditions are very different even if the new location is only a few hundred meters away), I'd recommend assigning a new WSI.

There are other aspects to be taken into account for the decision, such as:
 > the owner of the data and/or the supervising organization,
 > the variables being measured - e.g. you can't have two measurements of the same variable being collected in two different sites to be distributed internationally with the same WSI.

Ultimately, it is up to the Member/NFP to decide what is the best solution and to register all the details in OSCAR/Surface.

There is currently no detailed guidance from WMO, so the Standing Committee on Earth Observing Systems and Monitoring Networks (SC-ON) is considering this topic in their list of issues to be addressed in the coming months.

Thank you, best regards
Luis
In reply to Luis Filipe NUNES

by Tim Oakley -
Dear Vesna

I believe that you have got the advice needed from Luis on how to proceed. However, one other aspects to consider is whether you plan to report the observations from both locations/instrumentation Internationally (i.e. on the GTS). Many users of the reports are not able to accommodate different locations from the same identifier. I know this is the case for many of the data archives. So if both locations are being reported over the GTS, I would suggest that you allocate different WSI.
Best Regards, Tim Oakley
In reply to Tim Oakley

by Vesna Vidmar -
Thank you very much for both replies. They have helped a lot.

We have reached a decision on how to proceed & allocate WSI to our meteorological stations.

Best Regards,

Vesna