Dillema about assigning WIGOS-ID (manual & automatic observations)

Dillema about assigning WIGOS-ID (manual & automatic observations)

by Vesna Vidmar -
Number of replies: 4

In Slovenia we have several stations where manual and automatic observation is not made at the same place but the station name is the same.

Distance between manual and automatic station is aprox. 50 m - 400 m.

Should observer get unique WIGOS-ID or can we use same WIGOS-ID and we insert two types of measurement using different affiliate program? Is there some other way to insert different ways (manual vs. automatic) of  measurement data?

Thank you for providing us with further instructions,

Regards,

Vesna

In reply to Vesna Vidmar

Re: Dillema about assigning WIGOS-ID (manual & automatic observations)

by Evgeny VJAZILOV -

Dear Vesna,
In Russia, if an automatic station is located more than 3 km away, then it is assigned a separate synoptic number. In other cases, it is proposed to note in the information about the station that observations are being conducted here at the automatic station and by observers.

In reply to Evgeny VJAZILOV

by Vesna Vidmar -
thank you for your reply. I will discuss with my college about your solution.
Regards,
Vesna
In reply to Vesna Vidmar

by Joerg Klausen -

The WIGOS Metadata standard contains an element 'Source of observation' (http://codes.wmo.int/wmdr/SourceOfObservation) that should be used to distinguish between manual and automatic measurements/observations.

This is also supported by OSCAR/Surface.

In reply to Joerg Klausen

by Vesna Vidmar -
Joerg,

can you, please, help us clarify dilemma we have considering AMP stations in Slovenia?

We have read documentation and we still do not understand how WIGOS-ID is defined, for example:

(1)if it is equal to our station number (i.e. it is tied to some geographical name) or

(2) if it is defined as our idmm number (it is tied to coordinates).

Thank you for your clarification.
Regards,
Vesna