More than declared in OSCAR/Surface

More than declared in OSCAR/Surface

by fitriana lubis -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

Recently I‘m using WDQMS to check the availability for my station in my country.

Could you please answer my question.

WDQMS shows that the Kualanamu upper-air station (NWP-ID: 96035) is 'More than declared in OSCAR/Surface',  I want to ask what the meaning 'More than declared in OSCAR/Surface'?

Attachment 17092020.PNG
In reply to fitriana lubis

Re: More than declared in OSCAR/Surface

by Zulkarnain Zulkarnain -
Dear Fitriana,

'More than declared in OSCAR / Surface' means that the number of observations received by one or more WIGOS Monitoring Centers is more than the number of expected observations declared in OSCAR / Surface for a particular station.

Regarding the upper air observations in Kualanamu station (WIGOS ID: 0-20000-0-96035), the expected observations is zero apparently because in the deployments for profile observations, the hour and minute of its data generation in OSCAR/Surface is declared as 00:00 - 11:59, while its reporting interval is 12 hours . The end of hour and minute should be updated to reach a period of at least 12 hours according to the regular upper air observations made at the station. Please also be noted that the metadata in OSCAR/Surface can only be updated by National Focal Point of OSCAR/Surface in your country.

You can find a training material related with the availability indicators on WDQMS Resources Portal for Regional WIGOS Centres in Moodle, https://etrp.wmo.int/mod/resource/view.php?id=12100.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, including via email for further queries, if any.

Thank you, best regards,

Zulkarnain
In reply to Zulkarnain Zulkarnain

Re: More than declared in OSCAR/Surface

by Joerg Klausen -
To add to this:
I expect these observations are made 2x per day at 0000UTC and 1200UTC. The correct declaration of the coverage is then 00:00 to 23:59 (covering the whole day) with an interval of 12 hrs. Assuming these observations are reportedly immediately after generating the data, the reporting interval is also 12 hrs. Depending on how long it takes for the data to actually become available to a user, you could also declare a latency of reporting. Please consult the Figure 2 in the WMDS document for an illustration.
Kind regards
Jörg