WDQMS - expected observations

WDQMS - expected observations

LeeOlivia Shuk-ming -
回帖数:8

Dear All,

May I know how the WDQMS determine the 'expected' number?

Our SYNOP station, Hong Kong International Airport (WMO station number 45007), is reporting at 3-hour interval.  In that case the 'expected' number of observations for six hour and daily period should be 2 and 8 respectively.  However, I notice from WDQMS webpage that the 'expected' number of observations for six hour and daily period are 3 and 9 respectively.    I am a bit puzzled about this.

Regards,

Olivia Shuk-ming Lee
Hong Kong Observatory

回复LeeOlivia Shuk-ming

Re: WDQMS - expected observations

ProescholdtTimo -

Dear Olivia Shuk-ming Lee,

there is indeed an issue with the way the number of expected observations are calculated for Hong Kong International Airport. It is a combination of the particular way you introduced the schedules plus our algorithm doing the calculations.

As you do 7/24 3h observations, the "normal" way to introduce them would be 00:00->23:59 with a 3h interval (possibly 20h diurnal basetime). However, 20:00->19:59 with 3h can also be used, but presents the algorithm with some challenges in some cases, as can be seen.

We will work on a fix. In the meantime you could update (correct) in OSCAR/Surface the schedule definitions to the recommended format, unless there is a reason to use the 20:00->19:59 "style".

I am actually curious why you choose to represent the schedules in this way. We are aware of the lack of guidance on the schedules and will elaborate guidelines and for this reason it is important to understand how different users interpret the current schedules.

with very best regards and apologies for the complications,

Timo

回复ProescholdtTimo

LeeOlivia Shuk-ming -

Dear Timo,

Thanks a lot for your advice.  I have corrected the schedule to "00:00->23:59".  

There are no particular reasons for the "20:00->19:59" schedule.  Originally we think that for a 7x24 observations, we can input any beginning time in schedule, so long as the ending time is 23 hours and 59 minutes after.  

Regards,

Olivia 

回复ProescholdtTimo

Re: Droit limité

MOKOKO YOKAQuentin -

Bonjour,
J'ai constaté sur mon compte Oscar/surface mes droit sont limité. L'accès à l'API Oscar est limité sur le compte d'accès Oscar, le compte est limité sur plusieurs fonctionnalité de la plateforme Oscar tel que la fonctionnalité:
- reference data: instruments,methods,variables,organisations,programses;
-Admnistration: user management,aydit logs.
Je sollicite une aide de votre part pour travailler en coordination avec le point focal wigos.

回复ProescholdtTimo

Re: Droit limité

MOKOKO YOKAQuentin -
Bonjour,J'ai constaté sur mon compte Oscar/surface mes droit sont limité. L'accès à l'API Oscar est limité sur le compte d'accès Oscar, le compte est limité sur plusieurs fonctionnalité de la plateforme Oscar tel que la fonctionnalité:- reference data: instruments,methods,variables,organisations,programses;-Admnistration: user management,aydit logs.Je sollicite une aide de votre part pour travailler en coordination avec le point focal wigos.
回复ProescholdtTimo

iqbaliqbal -
Dear Proescholdt,

I check in WDQMS web tool to WIGOS-ID: 0-20000-0-96749 (Jakarta Soerkarno Hatta Airport), expected six hour is 6 and expected daily is  24. regarding that state, there are questions:
1. expected observation 6 hours is 6. I'm really curious,  could explain how to get 6 times ?  in my mind  it could be 4(00, 06, 12, 18 UTC) 
2. that station send data though GTS every 3 hours(00, 03,06,09,12,15,18,21 UTC) event operate 24 hours, in my opinion   expected could be 8. is it correct ?

thanks very much for the attentions

Iqbal
附件 Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 14.03.01.png
附件 Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 14.03.20.png
回复ProescholdtTimo

iqbaliqbal -
Dear Timo,
Thanks all for  your response  my questions last month ago, now i have some problem for observation upper air. some station availability indicate dot purple, in contrast some indicate green, unfortunately those stations have some configuration in Oscar metadata. for instance , in 3 oct 2020 ID-WMO 0-20000-96749(Jakarta/soekarno Hatta) has purple dot(expected 0, received 1) and 0-20000-96805 (Cilacap) has green dot(expected 1, received 1). both stations has same configurationin  oscar metadata (send data upper air once per day during 00.00 - 11.59 UTC). i need your experience how to update metadata station then the station 0-20000-96749 has greed dot. 

regard

iqbal

附件 avalaibilty_upper_air.png
回复iqbaliqbal

ProescholdtTimo -

Dear Iqbal,

I can confirm that there is an issue with the interface between OSCAR and WDQMS which computes the number of observations expected. I am working on a fix.

For your and the community's information. There is a tool with which you can check the number of observations WDQMS thinks a station should make. It is available here:

https://tools.oscar.wmo.int/oscar_schedules

For example, when we check the station 0-20000-0-96805 (Cilacap) and select an upper-air variable (e.g atmospheric pressure profile), we see that WDQMS expects:

Variable0h: [21-3[6h: [3-9[12h: [9-15[18h: [15-21[Schedules and reporting intervals
12000 1 0 1 0 Jan-Dec/Mon-Sun/0:0-11:59 [12:00:00] <0:0> ,

This is not correct, there should be none in 12h period. This explains the black dot.

We are working on a fix, the problem will then disappear. I will send a notification in this conversation.

best regards,
Timo

回复ProescholdtTimo

ProescholdtTimo -

Dear all,

please note that the location of the WDQMS schedule tool has changed.

It is now available here: https://oscar.tools.wmo.int/schedules/ .

with kind regards,
Timo