One station - two id:s

One station - two id:s

by Eva STRANDBERG -
Number of replies: 5

Hello!

I discovered that most of our radiation-stations have two ID:s. One "normal" and one with letters. For instance - you can find the radiaton station in Lund as Lund with ID 0-20008-0-LUN and also as LUND SOL with ID 0-20000-0-02633. Do radiation stations have a certain type of ID? Should I keep both types or should I delete one of them? Wich type is the correct one?

Kind regards

Eva (SMHI)

In reply to Eva STRANDBERG

Re: One station - two id:s

by Joerg Klausen -

Dear Eva

The metadata originate from 2 different metadata catalogues: GAWSIS for the station ‘Lund’, and Vol A for the station ‘LUND SOL’. It is good that you realize that these are actually the same station. What you *should* do is to remove what are duplicate observations from one of the station entries. Then, the two records can be linked in a station set. I believe, this can only be done by an administrator, so open a ticket, and we’ll do it for you. Ideally, what you *could* do is to combine the entries from both stations into just one station record and delete the other one. All the existing WIGOS IDs and program affiliations should be migrated. In the end, the station that is left over can be removed from the system (again, by an administrator). Unfortunately, we do not have a process implemented that would do this semi-automatically, so there is some manual work involved. The benefit is that you only need to look after a single station record in future, and that all observations, regardless of the program they serve, are documented in one place, and duplicates as you pointed them out will occur less.

If you need assistance in this process, kindly open a support ticket.

Best regards

Jörg

In reply to Joerg Klausen

by Silke ADLER -

Dear Jörg,

I would like to merge two stations

WIEN/HOHE WARTE (11035-0) WIGOS-ID 0-20000-0-11035 with the station

Wien/HOHE WARTE(11035-1), WIGOS-ID 0-20001-0-11035 (GUAN).

I tried to add a second WIGOS-ID to the WIGOS-ID 0-20000-0-11035. The problem is I can only enter the second WIGOS-ID with our country code like 0-40-0-11035 and not with the information of Radiosonde 0-20001-0-11035.

From what you wrote I thought that we should try to merge stations which are at the same location but have different WIDOS-IDs because they have other network affiliations, e.g. GUAN. But at this time it is not possible.

Best regards

Silke

In reply to Silke ADLER

by Lucia Cappelletti -

Dear Silke

As a National Focal Point you are the one deciding if co-located stations under your responsibility should be merged or not. However for the merging itself the help of an administrator is currently required. Please submit a support request so that we can look at your specific case.

Thanks

Lucia

In reply to Joerg Klausen

by Eva STRANDBERG -

Dear Jörg,

thanks for the help. I have now opened a support ticket to merge the double entries.

With the help from the administrator i will soon have a couple of merged entries. But I also have a few stations that only have ID:s froms the GAWSIS meta data catalogue, for instace 0-20008-0-BOR. And a frew stations that only have ID:s from Vol A, for instance STORLIEN, SOL 0-20000-0-02205.

I think maybe it would be an advantage if all the stations had the same kind of ID in OSCAR. What ID should I use, the one for GAWSIS or the one for Vol A?

Kind regsrds

Eva

In reply to Eva STRANDBERG

by Joerg Klausen -

WIGOS Station Identifiers, once assigned, must not be removed from the system. They might have been used by someone to refer to a station in the past. OSCAR/Surface can handle several WSIs per station, and also program-specific identifiers. You should keep all of them, but you are requested to highlight the one that you consider the 'primary' one.

Kind regards

Jörg