date of program/network affiliations

date of program/network affiliations

par Silke ADLER,
Nombre de réponses : 6

Dear all,

when a station is older than a program it is affiliated too (date established < begin date of program) which one of those should we use as the begin date for program/network affiliation?

best regards

Silke Adler

En réponse à Silke ADLER

Re: date of program/network affiliations

par Joerg Klausen,

Dear Silke

I would argue that you should use the date of establishment of the program in that case.

The use case is not clear, unfortunately:

UC1: Programs come with specific requirements, and if a station/platform has fulfilled these requirements even before a program officially existed, the date to choose could be that earlier date.

UC2: If a statistic should be established on the number of stations/platforms that belong to a specific network/program in each given year, then it makes sense to assign the date when a station/platform joined that program - so the earliest date would be the date when the program was established. I think, this is the more relevant UC.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Jörg

En réponse à Joerg Klausen

par Silke ADLER,

Dear Jörg,

thank you, this helps us.

Maybe there exists a list of the programs where we can see when each program was established?

best regards

Silke

par Kemal SEHBAJRAKTAREVIC,

As I already had some problems/questions (on meeting) regarding the "network affiliation" (also some of NFP from my region) , and this answer to Sike just confirm my dilema, I would like to ask for a more detailed explanation of this term.

Just to mentioned that I  claimed (on TT-OD meeting in Geneva)  that, my understanding of a term "network affiliation" is that not all stations which do the e.g. climat observation   are affiliate with GCOS program, but only those which are choosen by GCOS . For example, there are 14 stations which are doing climatological measurements in BiH but only  station Bjelasnica is affiliate to GCOS.

Do I misunderstand word "affiliate" ???

En réponse à Kemal SEHBAJRAKTAREVIC

par Joerg Klausen,

Dear Kemal

your understanding is correct, a program/network affiliation means a formal acceptance of a given station/platform/facility by a program/network. The governance of programs/networks can be different for different programs/networks. In the case of GCOS, GAW, GRUAN and a few others, a facility may apply to become affiliated, but the program/network manager will approve or disapprove this. On the other hand, for GOS, there is no such approval at present.

The work-flows in OSCAR/Surface are modeled accordingly: If a stations requests to be affiliated with GCOS by linking an observation to GCOS, the responsible program manager at WMO will be informed and needs to approve this affiliation, otherwise it will not be visible for the public.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Jörg

par Joël Gueusquin,

Dear Joerg,

> On the other hand, for GOS, there is no such approval at present.

Does that mean that an affiliation of a station to the GOS can be ended at any time ?

How can I check if a station is still considered part of a RBSN (Regional Base Synoptic Network)? I have a few stations that have stopped transmitting SYNOP internationally in 2020, but I am not sure if their affiliation to RBSN was ended. This information is not shown in OSCAR.

Sincerely,

Joel