GBON WebTool UA relocated stations

GBON WebTool UA relocated stations

by Karl Monnik -
Number of replies: 2

Good morning

Australia has two upper air stations that have been relocated in the last couple years.

TOWNSVILLE AERO : 0-20000-0-94294 to Woodstock : 0-36-9-95282

ROCKHAMPTON AERO : 0-20000-0-94374 to Yeppoon (Barmaryee) : 0-36-9-94001

In the GBON Webtool both pairs of stations show up, even though Townsville and Rockhampton have ceased to operate radiosondes. 

Should the the "Intended for international exchange: Yes" field be changed to "No" now that it is no longer reporting, even though in the past it was intended for international exchange?

I am not clear what is the preferred method to deal with this field in terms of historical metadata. In other words, does "Intended for International Exchange" refer to the period (e.g. From: 2016-04-29 to 2020-01-17) or is it interpreted as being current?

Let me know if you need any further clarification for my question.

Thank you

Karl Monnik, Melbourne

In reply to Karl Monnik

Re: GBON WebTool UA relocated stations

by Joerg Klausen -

Hi Karl

Happy New Year!

Interesting observation. The current data model has this metadata element as part of the Reporting, itself part of DataGeneration (which actually is time-bound), itself part of Deployment, itself part of ObservingCapability (='observation' with the 'observed variable'). So, in my mind, the data model supports a historical perspective on the 'intended for international exchange'. This element is also implemented in OSCAR/Surface in this sense. So in my mind, the 'Intended for international exchange' refers to a period of time and needs to be interpreted accordingly. 

If you feel the metadata model falls short of what you require, please open an issue at https://github.com/wmo-im/wmdr/issues.

Kind regards

Jörg 

In reply to Joerg Klausen

Re: GBON WebTool UA relocated stations

by Karl Monnik -

Thank you Jörg, happy 2023 to you as well!

That clarifies the field. Thus I will not untick the box when it ceases to send data, only add an end date.

Kind regards, Karl