Upper-air station availability issue

Upper-air station availability issue

by Gohar Gevorgyan -
Number of replies: 1

Dear WIGOS community,

I am Gohar Gevorgyan head of the Telecommunication and hydrometeorological data management service of the Hydrometeorological and monitoring center of Armenia.

I recently have noticed that in WDQMS Armenian Yerevan aero upper air station is marked with a red dot. It means “Availability issue”. I can't understand what is the problem??  The observation results are available and we send them at the set time․ What is wrong, what is the problem??

Thank you in advance.

In reply to Gohar Gevorgyan

Re: Upper-air station availability issue

by Cristina Prates -

Dear Gohar,

Thank you very much for your enquire. I did check the status of the Armenian Yerevan upper-air station on the daily availability map. In fact on the pop-up window below the Number of Expected observations (#Expected: 2) there is the comment "Default schedule".  WDQMS is assuming a default schedule  (2 observations per day, at 00 and 12UTC) because there is no schedule available in OSCAR/Surface for this station. Since the station is only reporting at 00UTC, it is shown as a "green" dot on the 00UTC availability map and as a black "dot" on the 12UTC availability map. On the daily view, WDQMS expect 2 ascents per day and the station only sends one, therefore it's displayed as a red dot (Availability issues). The only way to fix this is by updating the OSCAR/Surface accordingly. 

Regards,

Cristina Prates