OSCAR/Surface issues related in WDQMS

OSCAR/Surface issues related in WDQMS

от Xuejiao Lin -
Количество ответов: 2

Hello,

Recently I‘m using WDQMS to check the availability for the stations in my country.

Could you please answer the following questions?

a) WDQMS shows that the Changsha upper-air station (NWP-ID: 57687) is 'no match in OSCAR/Surface',  I want to confirm whether the reason is missing in the observations/measurements for upper-air in OSCAR/Surface?

57687 in WDQMS

57687 in OSCAR

b) Xi'an upper-air station (NWP-ID: 57036) has been closed. I want to confirm whether changing the declared status to closed then it will not be displayed as a black dot in WDQMS?

c) Shenyang upper-air station (NWP-ID: 54342) was temporarily closed until 2022, now it displayed as black dot in WDQMS. How to modify its declared status?

d) Why are the availability of all upper-air stations in China displayed in orange dots or red dots? Is it because the NWP centres not received humidity for stra (picture 1) or not received all data for stra (picture 2)? The land surface stations should be the issue about reporting interval, we will modify them later.

orange dot

red dot

Looking forward to your reply!

В ответ на Xuejiao Lin

Re: OSCAR/Surface issues related in WDQMS

от Timo Proescholdt -
Dear Xuejiao Lin,

regarading a), Changsha, the issue is that the station is not recognized as a radiosonde station by OSCAR and WDQMS. This can be seen e.g by searching for all radiosondes stations in China. Changsha is not in the list. Thus WDQMS cannot match it.
To fix this, make sure that the station has active temperature profile , pressure profile , wind profile and humidity profile observations in OSCAR/Surface and that that corresponding observing method is "radiosonde".

Regarding b) Xi'an upper-air. To close the station set an end date to the deployments of temperature profile , pressure profile , wind profile and humidity profile observations in OSCAR/Surface.

Concerning c) Shenyang . At the moment the best is to do like for b) and set an end date to the profile observations. In the future we want to add the ability to temporarily disable a station by modifying the instrument observation status, but this is not implemented yet.

Finally d), the orange dots. I understand that this has to do with how CMA report the radiosonde observations. I will get more information on this topic shortly.

best regards,
Timo
В ответ на Timo Proescholdt

Re: OSCAR/Surface issues related in WDQMS

от Cristina Prates -

Dear Xuejiao Lin,

Regarding item d).

Most of upper-air Chinese stations are displayed in orange in WDQMS web tool due to the fact that humidity is missing above 100hPa in China's upper-air reports. On the other hand,  the surface observations are shown in orange due to the fact that the reporting frequency is below the target (between 30 and 80%). That is the case for most of Chinese stations using the GBON baseline, where the target is 6 and 24 observations for 6-hourly and daily views, respectively.

Regards,

Cristina