Some points for discussion- RTC-SMN Argentina

Some points for discussion- RTC-SMN Argentina

CAMPOSMarinés -
回帖数:7

Hello RTC Directors and Yinka, Pat and all,

I would like to know about your views in some of the following topics if they matter to you, I also ventured to suggest my recommendations:

a)       WMO Train the Trainer course outreach across the Meteorological and Hydrological Community including Universities and other Training Institutions, specially all heads and experts, professors and young professionals. Also all representatives appointed in Technical Comissions and Task Teams.

Offer a one day convincing presentation , since not everybody will be able to do the course (not even a shortened version),  

Recommendation for a): Prepare Tr Tr  outreach presentation , then we would all be pushing in the same way (based on common understanding) and RTC s would get support.

b)      Due to well known constraints and limitations in RAIII training, Global Campus is the way forward. WMO would lead us into collaboration for development.

c)       Translation Resource Center is necessary for global collaboration to exist. Shared costs.

Recommendation for b) and c) Collaborate in Global Campus and Translation Resource Center: if these were considered, then it would be easier to embrace open education and improve training standards.

d)      Technical Comissions, Task Teams, Workshops  could  communicate RTCs their requirements, and work together designing  the necessary  TDPs for the region.

e)      A list of experts   willing to be involved  training  and  their areas of expertise could be published ( also to review ans assess training resources).

Recommendation: improve timely  communication between training and other departments in the local organization ( operational and research) and WMO Comissions and Task Teams.

f)       Tackling transition from manual observations to automatic stations and new technologies, the role of a modern observer.

g)      The role of Training in promoting change. Following the recently developed WMO competencies and documents,   training departments are key to communicate WMO standards in their Organizations and promote new implementations.

Recommendation:   training has a forward looking goal, no matter the local obstacles and difficulties  you can always learn , so training must continue and not be postponed.

Recommendation: Take advantage of Comet modules and courses (specially Spanish speaking audience)

best regards

Marinés

回复CAMPOSMarinés

Re: Some points for discussion- RTC-SMN Argentina

BabbDavid -

Greetings, Marinés.

I am the Director of the Online Portfolio for the Department of Meteorology at Penn State University. Given our 15 years experience offering meteorological training online, I am convinced that a coordinated Global Campus would be of great benefit the overall WMO training mission. I would love to hear your thoughts about how RTCs might integrate such materials (if available) into their existing framework. I am presenting a poster on building a distributed learning network using micro-credentials and have arrived at conclusions similar to your points (b-e) above.  I hope that we get a chance to chat.

Regards,

David Babb
Department of Meteorology & Atmospheric Science
Penn State University

回复BabbDavid

ParrishPatrick -

Hi David, 

Thanks for introducing yourself. I look forward to meeting you and learning more about your online programmes at Penn State. I have been involved in online learning since online existed, so it is one of my favourite areas to see new developments. 

It is also fascinating to hear about your poster on micro-credentials-- because I am doing a poster on exactly the same topic! I will discuss the potential use of digital badges for credentials for developing competency within the various WMO competency frameworks. Lets look at how our ideas overlap. 

Regards, 

Patrick

回复BabbDavid

CAMPOSMarinés -

Hello Dan,

It is good to know about the online Portfolio at Penn State University, I am interested in learning about your experience, the evolution of the courses, what worked and what didn´t.  The RTCs for South America (RAIII) would benefit greatly from meteorological and technological job specific courses. 

A Strategic Training Plan for RAIII responding to the needs of the region will be developed. Then we will have a clear picture of priority training.

In general our  set back is instructional design. We have incorporated videos which have made a difference. And we are also  insisting in boosting student participation by improving the activities and mechanisms to make it happen. 

We are willing to contribute to  Global Campus, There is one project  in progress ( WMO/ VLAB) Workbook for forecasters ( on the application of conceptual Models -CM4SH)  .which will be available as self directed but can also be integrated in courses. And  developing a Collaborative Observations Course which has already started.

Short online courses in spanish are being posted in the WMO learn calendar

Although we cannot cover all the demands, the great reward is participants acknowledging how good it is for them to have these training opportunities, and connecting with others.

we can talk soon, regards,

Marinés

回复BabbDavid

CAMPOSMarinés -

Excuse me David, my response was to you but of course open to Dan and all!

regards

Marinés

回复BabbDavid

DoyleMoira -
Hi David

I am Moira Doyle from the University of Buenos Aires in Argentina. We have started with one online course at the University and I hope we are able to continue working creating on line courses. I hope to hear from your experience and exchange ideas. See you in Barbados 
回复CAMPOSMarinés

ParrishPatrick -

Wow! What a wonderful way to see the SYMET discussion forums start being used. Thanks for starting the discussion, Marinés.

You list so many good ideas. They cross over many of the themes of the Symposium, and of course are also important for the RTC Director's Meeting, where this is posted. 

• I really like the idea of a condensed course for trainers. I wonder if we can brainstorm about that more. 
  • I am happy that you suggest using the Global Campus as a mechanism for collaboration and combining resources—that is its main purpose! RA-III is already proposing a perfect example with the Observer Training project, which is highlighted at the WMOLearn website (at http://learn.wmo.int ). The Translations Resource Center is another nice Global Campus effort that needs more input. I am glad to hear that you value it.
  • It is also good that you point out the need for better connections with the technical commissions and NHMSs. This is one of the points of Theme Paper I.
  • I like how you close by pointing out the change-agent role of the training centers and providers. They can be some of the most important conduits for change in organizations. Good observation.

I hope we can have other good discussions this week in the forum. Time will fly by next week, so we should take advantage of this forum in advance as well. And why not afterwards too?

Patrick