SYNOP and radiosonde share the same WSI

Re: SYNOP and radiosonde share the same WSI

by Zulkarnain Zulkarnain -
Number of replies: 2

Dear Erna,

I informed my colleague who deals with WIS about your questions considering they are more on WIS/GTS side and it was suggested to send the questions directly to wis@wmo.int. I'll forward the questions via email to wis@wmo.int and copy to you.

Thank you, kind regards,

The WIGOS Team

In reply to Zulkarnain Zulkarnain

by Erna Beckmann -
Dear Zulkarnain

We followed your advice on the WSI's for the radiosonde stations. However, one of the radiosonde stations has a slightly different identifer then the synop station, Mittarfik Narsarsuaq 0-20000-0-04270 (Synop) and 0-20001-04270 (radiosonde). We have issued a new primary identifier for all stations with the country code for Denmark e.g. "0-208-0-04270". But since the radiosonde and synop station in Nasarsuaq are two different stations in OSCAR, I am not sure how to proceed. Do you suggest to merge these stations? The synop and the radiosonde stations have two different station owners.

Best regards
Erna
In reply to Erna Beckmann

by Zulkarnain Zulkarnain -

Dear Erna,

Considering that the both stations have been in OSCAR/Surface for a long time and have different owners,  it seems more beneficial to keep them separate as is. On the other hand, it makes sense to merge them because the synoptic observation is collocated with the upper air observation.

Again, it's up to you to decide how you would like to assign WSIs for stations in your country. We recommend you to follow your National WSI Schema or develop one, if you don't already have it. References and examples of WSI National Schema from other Members are available on the WIGOS webpage, https://community.wmo.int/en/activity-areas/WIGOS/implementation-WIGOS 

Thank you, kind regards,

The WIGOS Team